Although very healthy and very easy, this original recipe was also a bit bland. I’ve amped up the spice in our version below.
0 hours, 20 minutes
8 hours, 0 minutes
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 3 cups (about 1 lb) butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
- 2 medium parsnip, peeled, quartered, and sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 cups bagged coleslaw mix
- 1 large leek (white and light green parts), sliced
- 2 Tablespoons oregano, thyme or your choice of Italian herb mixture
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons water
- In 4 quart or larger slow cooker mix beans, broth, squash, tomatoes (with juice), turnips, parsnip, coleslaw, leek, Italians herbs and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the garlic. Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in blender, mix basil, parsley, cheese, oil, salt, pepper, water, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic until smooth. Scrape into small bowl and refrigerate.
- Add basil mixture in last 15-30 minutes of cooking, and allow to heat through before serving.