I love eggplant Parmesan, but not so much the frying involved. This recipe seemed a great solution. Thin slices of eggplant are breaded and baked, then are wrapped around a cheese mixture and topped with marinara. It a good deal of work, but the dish satisfies that Italian craving in a (cheese aside) healthy way.
The drawback is that the process is messy and takes more time than I’d like for a weekday meal. Crisp and delicious straight from the oven, I may steal the method for cooking the eggplant to create a side dish or a component for another recipe.
0 hours, 30 minutes
1 hour, 0 minutes
- Cooking spray
- All-pupose flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
- 2 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 18 1/4- to 1/3-inch-thick lengthwise eggplant slices (from 2 medium)
- 3 cups (packed) coarsely grated whole-milk mozzarella cheese (about 12 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (preferably whole-milk)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 3 baking sheets and one 13×9×2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Place flour in 1 wide shallow bowl, eggs in second bowl, and breadcrumbs mixed with 1 cup Parmesan cheese in another. Sprinkle each eggplant slice with salt and pepper. Coat each slice with flour, then beaten egg, and finally breadcrumb mixture. Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on prepared sheets. Bake eggplant in batches until coating is golden, turning after 15 minutes, about 30 minutes total. Cool on sheets.
- Mix mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, basil, and 1 cup Parmesan cheese in medium bowl. Season filling with salt and pepper. Divide filling among eggplant slices (about 3 tablespoons per slice); spread evenly. Starting at 1 short end, roll up eggplant slices, enclosing filling. Arrange rolls, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spoon marinara sauce over rolls; sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered until rollatini are heated through and mozzarella cheese melts, about 30 minutes.